Bun Thang (Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup) - Cooking Therapy
◦ Soak the dried shrimp. Submerge the dried shrimp in a bowl of cold water and let it sit for 10 minutes.
◦ Put the chicken in a large soup pot. Fill the pot with water until it just covers the chicken. Don't put in too much water as it will cause the soup to be too weak. Bring the water to a boil. As the water starts to boil, scoop away the impurities as they float to the surface. After you scoop away all the impurities, add in the onion, salt, and dried shrimp. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
◦ As the soup is simmering, cut the cha lua into small strips and set aside.
◦ Whisk the eggs. Get a large saute pan and pour a thin layer of egg into the pan ~2 eggs per egg pancake). Cook the egg on each side for a minute each. Cut the egg pancakes into small strips and set aside.
◦ Cut up the Vietnamese coriander and green onions and set aside.
◦ Shred your chicken. After the soup has been cooking for 30 minutes, take out the chicken and shred up the meat. Put the chicken bones back into the soup. Taste the soup to make sure you added enough seasoning and add more salt if needed. Pour in the chicken stock and let simmer for 2 hours.
◦ Cook your noodles. Bring water to boil in another pot to cook the vermicelli noodles. Add in the package of vermicelli noodles and cook for 2-3 minutes. Taste the noodles to make sure they are done.
◦ Putting it all together. Put a handful of noodles into a large bowl. Top the noodles with cha lua, egg, shredded chicken, green onions, and Vietnamese coriander. Add fish sauce and pepper to taste. Finally, ladle some soup over the noodles and toppings.Next recipe Home page